Tis the season to enjoy pumpkin-flavored treats, so I’m dropping in with this quick Saturday post to share my simplest life-hack for satisfying those cravings when there’s no time for baking from scratch. This is the way that I cover both my seasonal craving for pumpkin spice AND my year-round need for dark chocolate in one simple snack-dessert with relatively respectful ingredients. All it takes is a Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Waffle from the freezer section, and a schmear of my favorite dark chocolate almond spread. Like you needed another reason to keep a jar of that in your fridge! Take it easy, happy weekend!
After resolving last week to fill out my Recipe Index with more of my favorite quick weeknight dinners, I noticed another woefully empty blog category here at flavorrd: snacks! (!!!)
I’m definitely a snacker. I fully respect mindful eating, but there’s also nothing I love more after a long work week than a fully-stocked Netflix queue and a big bowl of something crunchy. And if you choose the right snack, there’s nothing wrong with that!
Continue reading “BBQ Popcorn”
Today I’m lucky enough to send an update from FLORIDA, where I’m spending the weekend (woohoo!). Traveling from my home to my hometown is an all-day affair, so I thought I’d take this chance to talk about how I keep myself nourished on a cross-country flight… because life’s too short to subsist on the world’s smallest bag of pretzels.
My kit includes things that:
- Are without liquids – the only reason TSA will confiscate your munchies are if they are jealous that your lunch looks better than theirs!
- Are shelf-stable at room temperature – cold-packs are a no-go through security, so we gotta stick with foods that will be safe.
- Supply good doses of the nutrients and fiber that are tough to get enough of when traveling.
- Easy to eat in cramped conditions.
- Inoffensive to your seatmates – nothing is worse than sitting next to smelly food.
- Interesting enough that we’re not tempted to ditch them in favor of whatever terrible airport food that we’ll regret later.
Get out a couple pieces of tupperware or some of my favorite reusable snack bags, and let’s fill ’em up with goodies!
Continue reading “RD Airplane Snack Survival Kit”