Whew, back to reality. I’m back in San Diego again after a long weekend in the small town where I grew up in central Florida, to see my brother get married. In typical Florida fashion, the nice weekend was punctuated with pretty severe thunderstorms (complete with tornado warning) exactly at wedding-o’-clock. But it didn’t slow us down from having the best weekend! My little dog Chuy even got to come; I was nervous about hauling him on a airplane, but he loves my parents’ farm so much that I had to bring him along. Not completely stress-free, but he was a pretty good boy!
I was so preoccupied with the whirlwind of family events, that I kind of completely dropped out of social media. Whoops. But I still want to share a few shots of the special local foods and experiences that I like to enjoy when I travel home. It’s a nice opportunity to look back and get inspired by the flavors of the region. So let’s enjoy these glimpses of Florida’s Treasure Coast through the eyes of a visiting native / foodie dietitian!
Continue reading “Florida Faves”
Today I’m lucky enough to send an update from FLORIDA, where I’m spending the weekend (woohoo!). Traveling from my home to my hometown is an all-day affair, so I thought I’d take this chance to talk about how I keep myself nourished on a cross-country flight… because life’s too short to subsist on the world’s smallest bag of pretzels.
My kit includes things that:
- Are without liquids – the only reason TSA will confiscate your munchies are if they are jealous that your lunch looks better than theirs!
- Are shelf-stable at room temperature – cold-packs are a no-go through security, so we gotta stick with foods that will be safe.
- Supply good doses of the nutrients and fiber that are tough to get enough of when traveling.
- Easy to eat in cramped conditions.
- Inoffensive to your seatmates – nothing is worse than sitting next to smelly food.
- Interesting enough that we’re not tempted to ditch them in favor of whatever terrible airport food that we’ll regret later.
Get out a couple pieces of tupperware or some of my favorite reusable snack bags, and let’s fill ’em up with goodies!
Continue reading “RD Airplane Snack Survival Kit”